Effective July 1, 2017, the Virginia Department of Health and Arlington County Public Health Division are required to issue mobile food unit licenses in the form of a sticker that shall be prominently displayed on mobile food units. This change was enacted due to the passage of House Bill 1625 during the 2017 Virginia General Assembly legislative session.
The Guidelines for Vendors contains complete regulations pertaining to vending in Arlington County. Download a copy of the guidelines or obtain a paper copy from the Public Health Division Office at 2110 Washington Blvd. Suite 350, Arlington, VA 22204. Use our Checklist to Help You Obtain Your Mobile License to make sure you have taken all required steps to receive your license.
- Obtain a Vendor, Peddler, Canvasser Permit
- Mobile food units that produce grease-laden vapors (e.g. those who cook or re-heat food) and/or use propane tanks or generators MUST apply for a fire permit prior to Public Health inspection by calling the Fire Prevention Office at 703-228-4644
- Obtain an annual license and submit a Base of Operation Agreement or “depot letter”
- Obtain a copy of the base of operations health license and last inspection. The license is required for new operations or whenever there is a change of ownership.
- Obtain a Northern Virginia Certified Food Manager License from ORS Interactive for at least one member of your staff who will work in your mobile unit
- Submit an application processing fee of $40 made payable to Arlington County Treasurer with the license application, or receipt of payment from another jurisdiction in Virginia
- Mobile Food Unit Licenses are renewable annually in June
Mail or deliver your application and processing fee to 2110 Washington Blvd. Suite 350, Arlington, VA 22204.