Effective July 1, 2017, the Virginia Department of Health and Arlington County Public Health Division are required to issue mobile food unit licenses in the form of a sticker that shall be prominently displayed on mobile food units. This change was enacted due to the passage of House Bill 1625 during the 2017 Virginia General Assembly legislative session.
License Requirements for New Mobile Food Units and Renewals
- Mail or email a complete application package, which includes:
- Mobile Food Unit License Application
- Base of Operation Agreement along with a copy of the base of operation’s health license and last inspection report
- Northern Virginia Certified Food Protection Manager card for at least one staff member who will work in the mobile unit. You can get this card from ORS Interactive (703–533–7600).
- $40 application fee made payable to the Arlington County Treasurer.
- Note: Mobile Food Unit Licenses are renewable annually in June.
- After submitting your application, contact the Environmental Health Program to schedule a joint health and fire (if needed*) inspection. *Mobile food units that produce grease-laden vapors (i.e., those who cook or re-heat food) and/or use propane tanks or generators MUST receive a fire inspection.
- After receiving a health inspection/license, newly licensed mobile food units should obtain a vendor tag and Vendor, Peddler, Canvasser Permit. Previously licensed mobile food units should renew their Vendor, Peddler, Canvasser Permit and license prior to renewing their health license. Review the Guidelines for Vendors for complete regulations pertaining to vending in Arlington County.
Mobile Vending Zones
Mobile Vending Zones are created for food trucks in which they are exclusively allowed to vend during set hours. However, mobile vending is not limited to these zones. For more information on vending, please see the Arlington County Code.
Download more information about Mobile Vending Zones.
- Review the Event Requirements for Mobile Food Units (English) (Spanish) if you are a mobile food unit interested in participating in an event, or you would like to have a vendor at your event.