The construction and operation of public swimming pools, spas and interactive water features in Arlington County must comply with Chapter 24.1, Water Recreation Facilities Ordinance of the Arlington County Code.
Plans for new or remodeled establishments must be submitted for review prior to construction.
- The owner, or his agent, must submit seven sets of plans to Building Inspection Services, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 804.
- Building Inspection Services will forward a copy of the plans to the Environmental Health Program.
- There is a $160 plan review fee.
- Contact Building Inspection Services at 703-228-3800 with questions.
Public Pool Connections
- New public or commercial pools are required to be connected to the sanitary sewer system. Contact Arlington County’s Department of Community Planning, Housing and Development, Inspection Services Division, at 703-228-3800 for information about swimming pool connections and requirements.
Applying for a License
A Health License is required for new swimming pools or whenever there is a change of ownership and the license must be renewed annually. Each swimming pool license application must be accompanied by:
- A pool electrical certificate completed by a Master Electrician.
- An application-processing fee of $400 for year-round pools, $200 for seasonal pools, and $100 for each additional body of water. The checks should be made payable to Arlington County Treasurer and mailed or delivered to Environmental Health, 2110 Washington Blvd, Suite 350, Arlington, Virginia 22204.
All swimming pools must have a certified lifeguard and person in charge on site during all hours of pool operation. The person in charge must be able to demonstrate his/her skills in the areas of water chemistry, hydraulics, microbiology and other relevant areas related to the safe operation of public swimming pools and public spas.
Follow CDC Guidelines to ensure that you have a healthy swimming experience each and every time.