New Construction/Remodeling – Plan Review
The construction and operation of all food establishments in Arlington County must comply with Chapter 9.2, Food and Food Handling Code of the Arlington County Code. Arlington County has adopted and follows the 2013 FDA Food Code.
Plans for new or remodeled establishments must be submitted along with the Application for Foodservice Plan Review for review prior to construction.
- The owner, or his agent, shall submit seven sets of plans to Inspection Services Division, Arlington County Courthouse Plaza, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1000 (10th floor). Building Services 703-228-3800 will forward a copy of the plans to the Environmental Health Office.
- There is a $40 plan review fee. Read the Restaurant Construction Guidelines.
Applying for a License
A Health License is required for new food establishments or whenever there is a change of ownership, and the license must be renewed annually.
- An application processing fee of $40, made payable to Arlington County Treasurer, must accompany the license application and should be mailed or delivered to the Environmental Health Office at 2110 Washington Blvd. Suite 350, Arlington, VA 22204.
- Applications are available from the Environmental Health Office, or you may download the application.
All food establishments must have a Certified Food Manager (CFM) on site during hours of operation.
- An individual may become a CFM by passing a nationally recognized test and obtaining a Northern Virginia Food Manager’s picture identification card at ORS Interactive. Download our list of recognized CFM exams and preparation courses.
Variance to Permit Dogs in Outside Dining Areas
Arlington restaurants may apply for a variance that permits patrons to bring dogs into outside dining areas.
For more information about service animals, including the two questions staff may ask, see ADA Requirements: Service Animals or Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals and the ADA.
Variance for Outdoor Cooking
Arlington restaurants may apply for a variance that permits outdoor cooking.