If You Suspect Measles in a Patient in Your Office:
Call Arlington County Public Health Division (ACPHD):
- Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., call 703-228-5200, option #1.
- On nights and weekends, call 703-558-2222 and ask for the Public Health Duty Officer.
Review the guidance below and use this checklist for Managing Patients with Suspected Measles.
- Do not allow a patient with suspected measles to remain in your waiting area.
- Immediately provide the patient with a surgical mask.
- Require staff working with the patient to wear a N95 respirator mask (preferred if available) or surgical mask.
- Bring the patient to a private room with negative pressure if available, or to a room with a closed door. NOTE: Do not use the room for two hours after the patient leaves.
- Use standard and airborne precautions.
- Only allow staff with documented evidence of measles immunity to work with the patient.
- Call ACPHD immediately to report your suspicion and for further guidance on appropriate testing and control measures.
- Be prepared to collect specimens based on ACPHD recommendations:
- Nasopharyngeal swab
- Oropharyngeal swab
- For patients that need EMS transport from your office to the hospital:
- Notify EMS that you suspect measles, so EMS personnel can take appropriate precautions, including N95 respirator masks, to protect themselves from exposure during transport.
- Notify the receiving hospital that you suspect measles, so hospital personnel can take appropriate precautions to protect themselves and their patients from exposure when receiving the patient with suspected measles from EMS.