The Arlington County Public Health Division (ACPHD) offers opportunities for students to learn about the field of public health. Each semester, we offer a limited number of unpaid placements which are designed to enhance student skills and career goals. These placements can be in public health nursing, epidemiology, health policy and administration, health education, environmental health, nutrition or laboratory sciences. Although the majority of our internships are suitable for graduate level students, qualified undergraduate students may be considered.
Our intent is to provide students with real-world experience and training while also meeting the Public Health Division’s mission. Student experiences are based on the applicant’s interests and goals and our current program needs.
Your academic institution must have an affiliation agreement with ACPHD. Please note that the presence of an affiliation agreement does not guarantee a placement; a project also needs to be available.
- Complete an internship/practicum interest form: Student Practicum Interest Form 2017
- Include your resume and program requirements
- Include availability and desired start date
- Include your contact information
- Email completed paperwork to PHD.
- Please allow for at least a week to process your application. Please keep in mind that submitting required paperwork does not guarantee a placement. Requests for internships/practicums must be submitted at least six (6) weeks prior to the desired start date.
- The PHD internship coordinator will contact you to let you know if there is a potential placement available.
For opportunities with other health districts in Virginia, please visit the Virginia Department of Health internship page: http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/qihr/internship.htm
For opportunities with the Medical Reserve Corps (MRC), please visit the Arlington County Medical Reserve Corps page: https://health.arlingtonva.us/medical-reserve-corps/