About the School Health Bureau
The School Health Bureau (SHB) is administered by the County’s Public Health Division. It consists of two programs: the Parent Infant Education (PIE) Program and the School Health Program.
Parent Infant Education (PIE)
PIE is a family-centered program that serves children who have special needs from birth through two years of age. The program helps families work with their children to help them develop to their maximum potential. Services include individual plans for each child for services such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and educational services. More information about the PIE program.
School Health Program
The School Health Program works in close coordination with Arlington Public Schools (APS). School Health promotes a healthy learning environment for all APS students as well as the opportunity to achieve a lifestyle that will lead to a satisfying and productive life.
A clinic in every school – Click here for clinic contact information at each school
- First aid
- Emergency care
- Administration of medications
- TB skin tests
- Hearing screening
- Vision screening
Case management services
- Assistance to children with complex medical needs
- Education of parents and caregivers
- Linkage to community providers and resources
Services for babies and toddlers
- PIE (Parent Infant Education) Program
Education and training
- Educating students on important health topics
- Training APS staff in emergency medication usage
- Promoting prevention of communicable diseases
- Coordination with Special Education and Mental Health
- Response to outbreaks and emergencies
Health Appraisal Clinic
School Health provides physical examinations required for school entry, participation in sports and special education evaluation for eligible students. A staff physician conducts these physicals. Appointments are made through the school health clinics.
School Health Administration
School Health Bureau Chief
Sarah N. Bell, RN, BSN, MPH
Parent Infant Education (PIE) Program Supervisor
Alonna Grigsby, MS, MA